Happy and active kids have been our business since 1958!
Camp Funtime was founded in 1958 by brother and sister team, Len Mann and Sara Hyman. The two ran it as an afterschool and summer program on a playground site in Northridge. In 1978 the owners of the site opted to build condos, so the camp was split into two: Len rented space at the Egremont School in Encino, and Sara started Camp Playtime in Sherman Oaks. In 1981 Len sold the camp to “Uncle” Alan and “Aunt” Roz Levine.
Over the next two decades, the Levine’s helped to develop Camp Funtime and added an offsite Adventure Camp for young teens. Alan was responsible for adding theatre arts to the program, which gave children a chance to increase their creativity, use their imaginations and build self-confidence. Camp Funtime maintained the basic philosophy of providing a safe fun environment in a non-competitive atmosphere.
In 1989 the property was sold to Landmark Schools, the predecessor to Westmark School, but Camp Funtime continued to function as it always had. When Alan retired in 1997, Westmark School purchased Camp Funtime and took over operation of the camp and has maintained it ever since.
In 2007, Linda Stephenson, longtime educator and camp leader, took over as Director. Camp Funtime celebrated its 55th anniversary in 2013 under her leadership. Since becoming Director, Linda has added new specialists and activities, as well as expanded the Cub Camp program to include 3 year olds.