Camp Funtime was founded in 1958 by brother and sister Len Mann and Sara Hyman. The two ran it as an afterschool and summer program on a playground site in Northridge. In 1978 the owners of the site opted to build condos, so the camp was split into two: Len rented space at the Egremont School in Encino, and Sara started Camp Playtime in Sherman Oaks. In 1981 Len sold the camp to “Uncle” Alan and “Aunt” Roz Levine.
Over the next two decades, the Levines helped to develop Camp Funtime and added an offsite Adventure Camp for young teens. Alan was responsible for adding theatre arts to the program, which gave children a chance to increase their creativity, use their imaginations and build self-confidence. Camp Funtime maintained the basic philosophy of providing a safe fun environment in a non-competitive atmosphere.
In 1989 the property was sold to Landmark Schools, the predecessor to the Westmark School, but Camp Funtime continued to function as it always had. When Alan retired in 1997, the Westmark School took over operation of the camp and has maintained it ever since.
In 2007, Linda Stephenson, longtime educator and camp leader, took over as Director. Camp Funtime celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2008 under her leadership. Since becoming Director, Linda has added new specialists and activities, as well as expanded the Cub Camp program to include 3 year-olds.